View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
redvlagrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Bum Genius snap conversion tutorial

Please excuse the bad exposure on some of the photos!

Time: about 30 mins, faster for subsequent dipes (because of your template)
Tools: Snap pliers or press, snap parts, pencil, ruler, 1 piece paper, stiletto/tailor's awl (pliers come with this pointy tool), unpicking tool of choice, scissors.

If you need some sort of plier mount, which really does make the job easier, mismaggie is selling them! http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=686737

Here's my BG, ready to go!

Using an unpicker or your preferred method of unpicking, remove the aplix at the front of the diaper. Personally, I think the best way is to break a stitch every 4-5 stitches and every single stitch where it is double stitched (top left corner). It should then just come off really easily. You'll then want to pick all the bits of loose thread off.

Next, cut the end of the tab off. This makes unpicking the tabs much easier - they will come apart. You can do a bit of manhandling here as the stretchy tabs can take more abuse (i.e. ripping the darn thing off with force, rather than carefully unpicking)

Here's the tab, all unpicked!

Now you're going to make a snap placement template for the front. This will make is much faster to do lots of BGs. You won't have to measure the placement each time! So first, trace the outside edge of the front and cut it out.

Mark your snap placement. I put them every 2cm so they are quite close together for maximum adjustability. Place two snap caps on your template to check they aren't too close!

Use your stiletto (awl) to poke holes through your template at the snap points.

Place template over the front of the diap and mark placement of snaps with a pencil.

Put your hand inside the dipe and use your stiletto to poke holes through the fron of the dipe but *not* through the inner layer! Be very careful as your stiletto is sharp and you don't want holes in yourself!

Take your snap cap and put it up inside the dipe and push the prong out of on of the holes you made

Add the socket

Place in snap plier, making sure the cap fall into the die squarely. You'll actually have the inner diaper fabric between the die and the cap. so your layers will go : die, PUL, cap, PUL, socket, upper part of plier. Press it hard!

Here is your nice, smooshed snap. Repeat for all of the holes on the front

Go through the same steps (template, mark, poke, press) for the tabs, making sure the cap goes *on the outside* and you use the other part of the snap (don't know what this is called) instead of the socket

Sit back and admire your work!

Last edited by redvlagrl; 03-06-2009 at 08:06 AM.
redvlagrl is offline   Reply With Quote