View Single Post
Old 01-22-2007, 12:21 AM   #13
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Re: Developing racial awareness, need advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marielblewis View Post
For the sake of this thread I am going to simplify and say I am "white", my DH is "black" and so my girls are, umm, what's the current term? Bi-Racial?Mixed?

First I want to point out that all of this labeling is VERY ingrained in American culture. My husband and I find that when we are in other countries we are both Americans, but here we are "Black" and "White".

I am constantly asked ridiculous questions about our relationship. Depending on the intent of the person asking my answers vary. When someone looks at my children and asks "What are they?" I say "Girls." If the person presses further and asks what race their dad is or if he is black, I say "He's American." My children know that Daddy is dark brown, Mommy is pink, and they are brown "like peanut butter". This is not the least bit odd to them. They also know that mommy has black hair and Uncle Khris has blonde hair and a red beard. To them it's all the same thing.

Back to the point of the post, if you make a big deal out of it your son will wonder why you are over correcting. He is four. It might not have even been for the reason you are thinking. Maybe thought the boy was older or younger? Who knows? Kids do weird things. I will say if you make a big deal out of it he will start to wonder why it is a big deal. Live your life, be a good model, and I'm sure he will be fine. No need for long speeches.

HTH,

Marie
ITA- I am biracial/ mixed or whatever. Honestly, I don't feel like I "fit in" to either cultural group, but I am American. "He's a nice boy just like you" is as much energy as I would give to that. He'll gleen how to act from you mostly.... he'll be fine.