View Single Post
Old 05-27-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
Taowensf
Registered Users
seller

Re: First food?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster2000
With DJ, we did rice cereal, then applesauce, sweet potatoes, pears, bananas, carrots, etc.

With this baby, I'm seriously leaning toward skipping babyfood altogether and just starting with mashed up table foods from the start. That's the way it's always been...how many generations of babies did just fine without Gerber? It just makes a lot more sense to me, especially if you wait later about starting solids...just go with the flow and let it happen naturally. We'll see how it actually plays out though.

As for the argument about not giving too many fruits first, I love that one! Anyone who says that has never tasted breastmilk....the stuff is like pure sugar water! It may hold true for some babies, but it definitely hasn't for us. We started with applesauce first and then alternated a fruit and a vegetable, but we did sweet veggies first too (sweet potatoes, butternut squash, sweet peas)...DJ does love fruit now and he jumps on the occasional cookie or candy treat, but he also loves his veggies...he eats WAYYY more veggies than his daddy or me either one. And veggies take far less coaxing than sweet things.

Good luck with whatever you decide...

Seriously, we started with cereal because we didn't know any better. There's no reason NOT to wait and then no reason NOT to serve table foods. Bananas are always a great first food--the longtime recommended first food by LLL.

With future dc's we will definitely skip the overprocessed 'grain' cereals (if you can even call what it ends up being 'grains'!) and stick solely with REAL PEOPLE food, kwim? Oh, and we're hoping to exclusively BF for at least 12 months this time!

And Yeah, what PP said about the taste of BM. It's SOO sweet, much sweeter than fruits.

Best of luck to you!

Taowensf is offline   Reply With Quote