View Single Post
Old 01-23-2007, 05:03 PM   #19
Registered Users
Re: What is "Cry It Out"?

Originally Posted by zebaby View Post
I forgot about the going to take a shower CIO! Do anti-CIO mama's avoid taking a shower (going to the bathroom, brushing their teeth, eating food with a fork, drinking hot liquids, etc.) to avoid having their baby cry? I sling my babe all day but cannot do some things without putting him down for a few minutes. Sometimes he just won't be happy unless he's in my arms!

I will not say that my children never cry. It would be an extreme for a mother to try to make sure her children *never* cry. My point with CIO is that if what I am doing (while I am ignoring their cries) is not necessary then yes, I think it is wrong. That is my opinion. If I can get him calmed down and interested in a book and *then* brush my teeth, then why just put him down and say..."well, you're gonna have to cry then." There are just ways to get around expecting a child to cry to meet your own needs. I am not, in anyway, saying that a mom should not meet her needs....I do think that we are adults and sometimes our needs (drinking a hot cup of coffee) are more wants that can wait a second where as their wants (mommy to comfort me when I cry) are closer to being needs and they do not have the resources to have the patience that we should have as adults.
Christine (single mom to Carlie 9, Sam 7, Harry 5, and Owen 2...everyday is an adventure!
pottymomma is offline   Reply With Quote