View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 02:47 PM   #12
Korbins Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Meal Idea(s) for a new mom

This is a great and very thoughtful idea. No one did this for us when we brought our little one home...it would have been so nice.

What I did was made a bunch of meals in advance and froze them. I still do this. Homemade Veggie Soup, Peanut Soap, Homemade Chili, Beef Strongaff (minus the noodles), Spagatti sauce, taco meat, etc. Maybe something like that? That way they can just put it on the stove and warm it up.

For breakfast, this is my family's most favorite breakfast food and it freezes/heats up great!!! Heat it up in a toaster oven. Mouth is watering now. No need for syrup on these.

French Toast Sticks

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 eggs
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
8 slices white bread -- cut into 4 strips-- each (I use regular sliced bread, cut in 4 squares like 2"x2" and Texas Toast, cut into 4 long strips like 1"x4". That's how I roll. LOL!!!)
3 tablespoons butter -- divided

In a shallow dish, beat together the eggs, sugar, milk, maple syrup, and cinnamon with a fork until well blended. Dip each bread strip into the egg mixture, coating completely. In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Cook the bread strips a few at a time for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden, adding more butter as needed Serve immediately or allow to cool, then cover and chill until ready to serve.
When ready to serve, reheat in the oven or toaster oven for 3 to 5 minutes, or until heated through.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTE: Flash freeze on cookie sheet then store in freezer ziplock bag. (This means put it on a cookie sheet for about 30 minutes and put it in the freezer. This makes it less likely to stick together in the bag when they completely freeze.)