View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 03:10 PM   #21
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Leaving kids at home alone sick or healthy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho View Post
The Dad recently ran off with another woman. After a scary incident a few weeks ago he was ordered by the police chief to not have any contact with the family. She did try to contact him last night, but he did not reply.

I don't think there's any actual law on this in PA, but then again she was the one who told me that, so I don't know.

I remember doing some pretty dangerous stuff when left home alone too. Perhaps that's why I worry so much about it.
You and she are correct, there is no law stating how old a child can be to stay home alone in PA. BUT the Federal guidelines say 12yrs is really the recommendation and they're not supposed to be caring for other kids. I have almost 12yr old twins and would LOVE to just run to the store and have them watch their siblings, but I know they're just not capable of a parents job. I will leave them alone for short periods of time if they're sick and I need to take their brothers to school or run to the store, but never with their siblings. And a fever of 105?? That's febrile seizure levels and they shouldn't be unattended with that type of risk.

I've been in similar predicaments in the past as a single mom, but I could never WOULD NEVER just leave my 9 & 4yr old home alone especially if someone offered to care for them. If she's a single mom with 1 income than she should qualify for other help such as childcare assistance or food stamps, insurance, etc to help when she misses work. AND I would suggest she talks to her boss about the responsibility of being a single mom and that if your child is sick she is the only one who can care for them. OR like you offered, let you watch them. That's a dangerous situation for a 9 & 4yr old to be in.