View Single Post
Old 05-29-2006, 07:33 PM   #7
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homeschooling Mamas I need your help :)

We're doing Before Five in Row and Little Hands to Heaven from now (age 2) to pre-K. Once Zane shows readiness I'll do Handwriting Without Tears. I do LOTS of teaching while we play. Today he was doing a new puzzle. It has a tractor, a truck, a tricycle and a car. We talked about the colors, how many wheels, what each vehicle does, little/big, truck, tractor and tricycle start with t, this is a little t, this is a big T, car begins with c... that he rides a tricycle, farmers drive a tractor, daddy drives a truck.. you get the picture.

I think as long as you're teaching he'll learn fine. There is so much to learn in everyday life. Read to him, ask him questions about what has happened, what might happen, etc. Count objects, point out letters and words. Give lots of "craft" time, short fat crayons, paper, scissors, glue sticks, hole punch, Play-doh, finger paint, etc. Take him lots of places, museums, art galleries, zoos, aquariums, farms, etc. Expose him to anything and everything that will enrich his mind.

One thing I read that sounds interesting, when having a child trace a letter or number with their finger have them use both the pointer and middle. The middle finger is suppose to have a stronger connection to the brain.

Zane's development doc (he was preemie) says kids should use short, fat crayons (break the new ones in half). It teaches them how to properly hold a pencil.

http://www.homeschoolreviews.com has reviews of curriculums and a great forum for asking. Plus the internet is FULL of free/low cost options. I subscribe to Mrs. Alphabet (have for years). She has links to tons of cool stuff. Nearly all books can be found used (almost as good as fluff in the mailbox, lol).

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote