View Single Post
Old 05-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:
Prefold to Mama Cloth Tutorial (pic heavy)

I use the Diva Cup (when not pregnant, obviously), and only use a pantyliner as a backup and for those days during pregnancy when I need a little extra something. I have some wonderful pantyliners that I bought in a co-op a while back, but they are too small and I don't care for the PUL lining because I prefer something a little more breathable. So, I had some old Gerber prefolds sitting around begging for me to do something with them and then it hit me - mama cloth!

Here are the few, simple steps that I followed. All I used was a prefold (washed and well-used), scissors, a pen (I didn't even break out the fancy marking pen, just a ballpoint I had handy), and my serger and snap press. You can do the same with a zigzag stitch on a regular sewing machine and use aplix or metal snaps, too.

First, decide on a pattern. I found a few online but ultimately tweaked my own - it both fits me well and is easy to serge, as I have a hard time serging interior curves on my serger. I don't have the skills to upload the pattern, but if you are clever you can print the photo below and scale it to fit (each square on my cutting board is an inch). Mine measures 9" long by 8" wide.

Next, trace the pattern onto your prefold - I can get 2 cuts from one prefold using the pattern I came up with. Be sure to line up the pattern correctly so that the padded part of the prefold is along the length of the pad.

Cut out your pieces - you don't have to be exact if you are using a serger, but if you are using a zig-zag on a regular machine, I would make your cuts as clean as possible.

Next, serge (or zig-zag) around the edges, overlapping where you started to seal the stitches.

Last, apply snaps. NOTE: Be sure to apply the caps to opposite sides so that your pads actually fasten correctly on your panties. If the snap caps are on the same side of the pantyliner, it won't fasten correctly. See last photo for the correct placement.

Not as pretty as some other mama pads out there, obviously, but just as functional not to mention super cheap... You could dye them to make them more appealing, or top them with a nice fabric, or back them with fleece or PUL to make them waterproof - whatever you please. I find that they are thick enough to be plenty sufficient as backup and probably thick enough for regular flow days without the Diva Cup. Enjoy!

Last edited by Green Decals; 09-08-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote