View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
Knutsonfam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone pregnant and have a really low TSH?

Do you know if you have hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism? I get easily confused because of the converse relationship between TSH and diagnosis.

A high TSH means the body is producing more thyroid stimulating hormone than normal, so the brain is trying to tell the body to make more thyroid hormone. This means the thyroid is not working as well as it should, i.e. hypothryoidism.

A low TSH means the brain is sending out the signal to make less thyroid hormone. The thyroid is making too much. Thus the person has hyperthyroidism. Hyperthyroidism is diagnosed by low TSH and high T3 and T4. That is why I always request a full thyroid panel instead of just the TSH at my check-ups. Hyperthyroidism is linked to an increased risk for miscarriage.

Whichever one you have, I would suggest you see a Dr. ASAP. I have hypothyroidism and have had to work very hard to keep my TSH, T3 and T4 levels in the normal range and at a levels I feel good at. I have had three healthy pregnancies with three healthy babies. Good luck!

Last edited by Knutsonfam; 06-05-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Knutsonfam is offline   Reply With Quote