View Single Post
Old 06-01-2006, 12:22 AM   #6
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:
Re: My bumGenius rainbow!

It's Cushing's Acid Dye.. I get it at a LYS near me (well relatively near me - it's about an hour and a half drive!). I've also ordered it online from http://www.thebellwether.com/ but unless you are ordering a lot, the shipping kills you (they ship priority though, so that's why).

The colors I used were purple, orange with a teensie bit of buttercup yellow,and wild rose.

I dyed these using the same method I'd use for wool.. pot of hot water (I heat mine until it gets wispy steam on top, but not boiling, then turn the heat all the way down), about 1/2c vinegar, and an appropriate amount of dye... one of those packets of cushings will dye a LOT so you don't need much at all... better to use not enough and have to add more later than to start off with too much

It takes about 15-20 minutes for the nylon to take up enough dye to be a decent color. That would probably apply for koolaid as well... you do need to keep moving around the bumGenious in the dye solution every few minutes to get a nice even color.. and it needs to stay submurged, but it's pretty easy to manage
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote