View Single Post
Old 02-23-2007, 04:41 PM   #12
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Moving from Teacher to WAHM...and all that goes w/ it.

What district are you in?? I teach at a PS in Sacramento and was able to take a year (but could have taken two) of parental leave last year with my son. Not only that, but I didn't lose tenure or salary placement and I can take two years of parental leave again if needed. It was ideal for me because my son had some MAJOR health issues that I couldn't have dealt with otherwise had I been working. Can you look into a shared contract? I honestly missed teaching during the year I was out with my son....however with working full time I missed being with my own children. This was the PERFECT solution for us because I still get to be with my class sometimes, but i am home more than half of the time too...great for Dr. appt's, play dates and whatever!! It also cuts the cost of your benefits way down too, but you wouldn't be tied to your home everyday like you would be with daycare kids. Also take a good look at your salary full time....a lot of what's being deducted is probably taxes. My salary this year (at 50%) is still close to what I made full time because of the different tax bracket and additional expenses we are saving on having me home. I am also tutoring on the side (which may also be an option for you) to earn additional $$. I feel like I have the BEST of both world's and that $50+ fee I paid this year to once again renew my credential was actually well spent....I, like you, HATED the thought of putting all that hard work into my education and then not pursuing my dream of teaching. Good luck with a really tough decision.
(O)….2, & Someone NEW….arriving May 2014!

Kindergarten Teaching Extraordinaire
teachermama is offline   Reply With Quote