View Single Post
Old 06-04-2006, 03:21 AM   #26
Shanna
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is it to late to wear my baby?

It's definately not too late, for any style really. Each style of sling has it's pros and cons. I have a comparison chart, although it's not up on the web quite yet (good reason to get it up, huh?).

Rings are great because they're totally adjustable. I wear my 13 mo, 24lb DD and I particularly like the adjustability factor. Even though I only hip carry her now, when she's sleeping I like to wear her higher on my shoulder, when she's wiggly and wants down (to run like a mad woman through the store) I can pull the fabric up over her arms and pull the sling nice and snug and that's all she wrote! She quiets right down.

I also wear my pouch a lot. It's super compact, quick and easy. I've never seen/worn an adjustable but it seems to me that would defeat the purpose. Pouches really have to fit well to work well, but a huge benefit is NOT having to adjust rings, snaps, or aplix. Besides, I wonder how well you could do a shoulder flip w/ an adjustable one. Pouches are particularly good for Moms who don't like the extra fabric of the ring sling tail or just don't get the ring adjusting part.

Mei Tais are great for long term slinging and I think they're the best for back carrying (IMO). You can back carry in the pouch or ring, but I only do it for a couple of minutes, I just don't feel nearly as secure. I frequently mow the lawn w/ my DD on my back in the MT. It is a little more challanging putting baby on your back in the parking lot, so I usually opt for one of the other styles unless I know I'll be wearing her for awhile. It is also my fav for getting housework done. In all the other carrying positions she's either in the way in front of me or has grabby hands.

I could go on and on, but check out Nine In Nine Out (www.nineinnineout.org) to find a local babywearing group. You can also look for AP groups, natural parenting groups, etc in your area (like on yahoo groups) as many of these Moms sling with many different styles of carriers. I'm with you on the overwhelmingness of the babywearer. It seems like it's gotten to be just one giant advertisement, and the forums get quite.... competitive and tense sometimes.

Happy slinging!
Shanna

Shanna is offline   Reply With Quote