View Single Post
Old 09-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: considering pumping exclusively

My good friend exclusively pumped because her dd would not latch anymore after trying a bottle at about 2-3 weeks old. She was able to keep it up until about 9 or 10 months and then her supply just dropped off. She was very upset about the whole thing. She wished her dd would nurse and didn't like having to pump. She found that the pump wasn't very good at keeping her supply and she was so sad that she couldn't make it to a year with breastmilk. I have another online friend who had a very similar experience with exclusive pumping because her baby couldn't latch due to a cleft palate. After seeing what they went through, I would advise you to carefully consider before switching to exclusively pumping voluntarily. It's one thing if you have to exclusively pump because your baby won't or can't latch, but it doesn't seem like the kind of thing people usually choose to do just because they prefer it over nursing. I could be wrong, those are just the only two people I've known who have exclusively pumped.