View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
tryin
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My Doula Dilemna-Advice needed

I need help choosing a doula and was hoping I could get some opinions here. I will not have anyone with me during labor and delivery. I am choosing this for several reasons. I do have a friend that will drive me to the hospital but I won't ask her to if it will be at an inconvenient time for her. I have visions of driving myself to the hospital.

Basically, I delivered my last baby alone in the hospital and would prefer not to be alone again and if they have to take my baby out of the room, I want someone there to go with her. I would rather this person be a birth professional rather than a friend or family member. I don't want alot of hands on treatment, just someone who is there so that I'm not taken advantage of being alone.

I am wishing to go as natural as possible, but am not opposed to getting an epidural if I just can't handle the pain or pitocin or c-section whatever develops as long as I get a healthy take home baby this time. I don't want it to be an easy road to interventions, but will not fight it if I truly need them.

So yesterday, I interviewed two potential doulas for my upcoming delivery. I'm 30wks and will deliver at 39wks, so not much time left. the first doula I called ($500) said she couldn't do it so she referred me to a couple of other doulas in my area. I live pretty far out and so not many options. My hospital is about 50min from my home and usually doulas live somewhere in between here and there.

The doula that was referred to me charges $600 includes childbirth classes and she has tons of experience. I guess I can afford $600 but would prefer not to pay that much. I'm not sure if she'll go down on that price, I can pay in installments though with the balance due by 36wks. She will barter, but I'm not sure what I have to barter. We discussed tutoring her DD, but I'm not sure about doing that. She seems to be more knowledgeable about procedures and technical stuff. We got along okay. I think she will be a great advocate. She says she can give me the potentials for doing certain procedures or allowing certain interventions. She will also help establish breastfeeding.

The other doula I found is not yet certified and needs 3 births for her certification. I would be her first birth. She only charges $200, $100 deposit, $100 at delivery. She has given birth 5 times. We also got along great along conversational lines. I'm not sure if she has a strong enough personality though if something should go awry. She also seemed more hesitant about helping w/bfing but will help with that. Not really that big of a deal because the hospital does have LCs.

Both have children and have had non-medicated and medicated births. Both have agreed to attend a c-section if that should happen. I will be induced if I don't go into labor naturally prior to 39wks and they will be there as well. The more experienced/expensive doula has agreed to provide transportation if I need it, the other one won't.

I am a pretty independent person and don't need alot of hand-holding but want to have someone there "just in case".
Which doula should I choose or should I just keep looking for someone somewhere in the middle of expense and experience?

Last edited by tryin; 09-27-2009 at 10:35 AM.
tryin is offline   Reply With Quote