View Single Post
Old 03-25-2007, 03:04 PM   #2
MamaEli
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Tell me, whats your fav. way to cook collard greens!!

All right, DH is from Kenya and this is how we do it. (Substutite in Kale or Spinach, also)

Cut up the greens well, and I always discard the hard middle stalk
Put about 2-3 T. of oil (I use olive or canola) in a pan and add 2-3 diced roma tomatoes or 1 large regular tomato. 2 cloves of garlic diced, and one medium diced onion. When they're nice and soft, kind of squish up the tomatos so they're just kind of chunky mushy. Add the greens and maybe 1/2 c. of water. Turn the heat of low/med and cook for maybe 20 minutes. Add salt to taste. For added pep, add one or two jalepeno peppers along with the onion, etc.

We usually eat it with stew. Same basic ingredients cooked the same way, but put in diced beef instead of the collards. Feel free to add peas, carrots, etc. and season with salt. And I like to add a Goya spice called Sazon: "cilantro y tomato" Tastes great added into the greens, as well. Add same time as the salt.

Serve with some rice. Serve halved bananas and quarter oranges for "dessert". MMM, might have to eat this tonight, I'm getting hungry!