View Single Post
Old 06-06-2006, 03:57 PM   #2
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Should I encourage a friend to BF?

If she's truly undecided, I don't think there's anything wrong with encouraging her to bf. Let her know all the great things about bf...why you love it even though in some ways it may look like more work. Remind her that ff is no walk in the park either...*somebody* has to get up during the night to make the bottle (while the baby waits patiently, right?), it's expensive, less portable, etc. There's also the option that once things going, after the first few weeks she may be able to pump enough for her dh to give a bottle of breastmilk during the night. Or she may find out that it really doesn't matter what she's feeding because her dh is not nearly as eager to help out as she'd hoped. I think that putting too much pressure is sometimes counter productive and turns people off, but there is nothing wrong with being encouraging. And be honest with her. Yes, it does suck sometimes when you really wish you could just pull the covers over your head and let dh do this one feeding...but it's also somewhat gratifying to know that you can handle this in a way no one else in the world can...that your baby wants you...not Daddy or Grandma. It's a mixed blessing.

We all know that every little bit of bm helps, so worst case I would encourage her to give it a try. Even if she decides after a few days that it's not for her, at least her baby got the colostrum. Don't present it to her quite that way, but if she starts out bf and it's just not working, it's a whole lot easier to switch to formula down the road than to go the other way. That's still not coming out right. You know what I'm trying to say though!

Good luck!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote