Thread: ~$5 Meal Ideas~
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #511
CaleighAHolic
Registered Users

Re: ~$5 Meal Ideas~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrferr View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I know I can't get quality chicken or ground beef for under $5. Not unless I manage to catch a good sale at the store. I'm this-close to going vegetarian because of the insane cost of meat anymore.
I learned from my mom.. if you can possibly help it, don't buy anything unless it is on sale, clearance is better.
Our vons does clearance in their meat department. I got 2 1+ pound london broils for $3 and change. originally $6 and I got for $3... then I turned around and made 2 meals out of both of them...
One I made steak sandwiches, and London Broil ( just broiled and served slices with potatoes and veg)
the other one I made a big batch of beef stroganoff ( one meal, with seconds and still a big serving of leftovers) and Black beans and Rice ( called Con Gris recipe is from my Cuban MIL) with steak on top.
Chicken we buy frozen on sale mostly, but i found bone in skin on BREASTS for $.99 a pound a few weeks ago, I bought 10 pounds. I divided them up 1-2 breasts a bag and froze them.
Bulk sausage in the meat cases costs less than in the pre packs, or pre formed, and tasted just as good.
Pork chops on sale are awesome. I got a pack at Henry's the other night, bnls, pork loin chops 1 lb $3.
SHOP SALES.. I go to 3-4 different stores to do my shopping. Henry's ( like trader joes, or boneys but better farmers market in the summer) for veggies and fruits.
Vons for the basics cans, boxes, milk etc.
Grocery outlet.( if you live in CALIFORNIA find one near you .. make the hour drive once or twice a month.. it is worth it. )It is like pic and save for food. I spend $60-$80 per mmonth and regularly save 1/2 of what I spend. for basics, bread, cheese, frozen, cereal, cans, juices, pasta, people products, even crackers and cookies.
Vons for the basics cans, boxes, milk etc, if I didn't find at groc outlet.
Costco for big staples- pet food, bnls/sknls chicken breasts, HUGE bags of chicken strips, or nuggets, laundry soap, towels and tp.
then target ( i am boycotting walmart) for people stuff, cleaners, litter etc we use the Target brand sposies for while we are out and about for the whole day, or when we go on vacation.
I am a SAHM.. I find money where I can.
OH and I use coupons. if I have a budget of 100 and I save even $20 using coupons that is $20 I have to buy more food.
HTH...
CaleighAHolic is offline   Reply With Quote