View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 06:23 PM   #15
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Quick! Can I eat Mexican white cheese dip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaci View Post
All domestic cheeses that are aged less than 60 days MUST be made from pasteurized milk. It's required by law. Then the link itself says that cheeses made from UNpasteurized milk but aged 60 days or more are OK. I know that around here all of the "Mexican" cheeses are actually domestic, just made in the Mexican style. And even if they're imported the FDA requires unpasteurized cheeses to be aged 60+ days. It's actually relatively difficult to find a young, soft, unpasteurized cheese.

It certainly never hurts to err on the side of caution but in a case like this I think the OP is probably in more risk on the car ride to the restaurant than while eating the queso...
I know this was something I looked into with my last pregnancy, because I have a huge addiction to authentic Mexican food while pregnant

I know the queso that we buy in the Mexican market is not pastuerized. If I can't read the label personally, I don't eat queso.

That's just me though
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote