View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 02:01 AM   #5
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I taught dd the sign for eat but now she uses it a bunch

Yeah, keep giving her alternatives to those signs--and offer her choices. 'Did you want to eat, or drink?' My DD is 12m and can choose between 2 options and give me diff. signs ea. time. She seems to sign 'eat' all the time, but that's because she's most fluent at signs located around the lower part of her face--many times she's saying 'Mama', 'water', 'phone', 'kiss', 'silky' (her playsilk lovey), etc. That and milk are some of the easiest to do--and the most motivational.
I DO reward DD for signing, even when it's sometimes inconvenient. Up until recently, if she signed 'milk', I'd stop what I was doing and nurse her. It keeps them wanting to learn/express more.
Maybe aside from 'drink', teach her 'finished', 'all gone', etc. Sometimes DD gets all excited saying 'more' and 'eat' during dinner that it'll go on for 2 hrs. and she'll just keep taking the food. Finally I'll say 'Are you finished, or do you want more?' and she'll say 'finished'. She just needs to be reminded of other options.

(Oh, and you'd be amazed at what she knows/understands--w/in just a few teachings of 'more' your DD will get it. Mine is starting to use signs for multiple meanings--I taught her 'sleep' and when I ask her if she wants to go to bed, she signs 'sleep'. She's also putting 2 words together like 'fish eat' when she wants to feed the fish. There's a LOT of understanding in their little heads starting around 10m--they just can't vocalize it yet. Give her the handshapes for the words and she'll tell you all kinds of things