View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
proudsahmof4
Registered Users
Formerly: proudsahmof3
seller

My Mood:
How do you explain the grandparents' divorce and remarriage to your children?

DS1 has become more aware of family structure lately (he's 5). He's just realized that DH and I have brothers and sisters of our own, as well as parents. DH's parents are married for 35+ years, mine are divorced. My mom has been remarried a couple times, but is currently single (after recently ending a 4-year relationship). My dad is remarried to his wife of 15 years.

DS1 has now made the connection that Grandpa Bill and Grandma Penny are DH's mommy and daddy. I have explained to him that Nana is my mom and Grandpa Al With the Mustache (the name DS has given him ) is my dad. I'm not sure what to say about Grandma Cathi (my dad's wife). DS hasn't really asked about her yet, but I think that he is going to figure out that the math is not quite adding up here rather shortly. I guess I'm worried about him asking if she is my mom, or why I have two moms, and so on. She's never been a real maternal figure for me (I was in my late teens when she came into the picture and there was major animosity towards my mother on her part, so there is a lot of unforgiven history there, but we get along okay for the short periods we see each other) so I don't like the idea of referring to her as "my other mom", or that I have two moms, etc.

I just don't know what I'm going to say when he does ask, he came really close when my dad and stepmother were at our place around Thanksgiving and made some comment about grandpa being my dad. I was just waiting for him to ask who SMIL was; the idea of explaining stepparents, divorce, and remarriage to a 5-year-old without scaring him bewilders me...I can't wait for the day he realizes that my dad and sister are related (they are estranged and haven't spoken in over 5 years)! Just wondering what other folks do if they have parents that are divorced?