View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 12:35 AM   #5
ShannonLynn
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Need Help for planning "Frugal" weekly menus

Blessings to you! Meal planning is still something I need to get under my belt. :-) My first baby is due in 12 days, and I'm trying to get some things prepared ahead of time. I know this is a little different than what you were asking for, but it may help... I got an idea today to try something instead of "freezer meals", but to do a "meal kit". One thing I remember my mom doing is cooking up a bunch of hamburger / chicken / etc. and freezing that already cooked. I am thinking of doing this, and dividing it into 1/2 lb. portions. Then it's ready to go. She had a few recipes that are easy "throw-togethers" out of basic ingredients (canned veggies, spices, etc.). So, I'm gonna set the cans aside for each meal, and the meat labeled in the freezer, measure any dry ingredients and put them together.
It's just as simple to cut up three onions (or green peppers, etc.) as it is to cut up one. Sometimes it's helpful to cut up extra when you're cooking and freeze it, so next time your prep work is already done! Then I can just throw in my crockpot or oven when I'm ready to cook.

This is really easy and something I fixed tonight. You can make meatballs, but I was short on time, so I just browned the meat. Here's what I did:

Serves 3
Cook, drain, set aside:
2/3 lb. ground beef (you can add some onion and garlic if you like)

In skillet or sauce pan on stove heat together on medium:
2/3 c. ketchup
2/3 c. grape jelly

When this is melted and mixed well, somewhat bubbly, add the meat back in and it's basically ready when it's all well-heated. If you like it a little more saucy just keep equal portions of grape jelly and ketchup. Sounds weird, but it's an awesome sweet & sour sauce!

Serve over rice, I made about 3 c. of rice - and I usually start the rice before I brown the meat and they're about ready at the same time.

Enjoy! :-)
ShannonLynn is offline   Reply With Quote