View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 08:36 PM   #106
dragensong
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: The "~$5 Meal Ideas~" thread...

First I want to thank you ladies, you all are absolute geniuses. I sat down with DH and DS (who is the pickiest person in the house), and 2 DDs and went down the list of your delicious sounding recipes. We picked out the 7 that sounded most appealing to the kids (sorry to those we didn't pick) to add to the 7 I already know. I managed to go shopping for my family of 5 for 2 weeks with $97. Thats including breakfast, and lunch (which will most likely be left overs). Now I'd like to add one of my own for you wonderful people.

Pot Pie

3 -4 thawed out chicken tenderloins cut into pieces. (i get the frozen bulk 5lb bag for about $7 and i can stretch it into 3 meals.)
1 small bag frozen mixed vegies.
1 can cream of mushroom and chicken soup.
1 tsp rubbed sage
1 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp garlic (keeps it from being too sweet)
salt and pepper
dash nutmeg
(optional) diced onion
(optional) chopped celery
olive oil
2 pie crusts (for a top and bottom crusts of pie)

preheat oven to 350/375

place vegies a microwavable bowl and defrost, drain any excess water.

coat pan with oil over med heat.
add seasons (all but garlic) to oil (if using onion and celery add those as well)
warm the seasons (or saute till onion and celery are soft)
when it starts to smell good add chicken
cook till done, remove from heat.

In vegie bowl stir in garlic and cream of mushroom/chicken soup.

Add chicken and mix well.

pour into pie crust, put top crust on and poke a few holes in center.
Bake 20 -30 min or until crust is light to golden brown.

i tend to multi task so it takes me about 10 - 20 min to put this together.
10 min if I use left over chicken and no celery or onion, 20 if i cut the fresh chicken into pieces larger than 1/2 inch and add celery and onion.

In all (using generic brands), i think the total comes to about $3 (I almost always have the seasons) with out the fresh produce, and up to $6 with it.

I've never made this for more than $6.

Also you can use what ever seasons you have on hand. My friend altered it with Cumin and fajita seasoning, and used plain cream o'chicken soup and canned diced vegies (drained) instead of frozen mixed vegies.
dragensong is offline   Reply With Quote