View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
AmberP's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,604
My Mood:
Birth of Sean Matthew

Sean’s birth story begins at 38 weeks. I had already lost my mucous plug, and it didn’t seem to be coming back because I was 50% effaced and 4cm dilated. I had my midwife appointment on Tuesday and Wednesday I’d spotted a bit, so I started getting my hopes up that he was coming. My next midwife appointment the following week, I was about 90% effaced and 4cm, but super stretchy. I got my hopes up again. I went in for my 40 week appointment the following week and was 5cm dilated and still 90% effaced. We had decided at 40 weeks to go ahead and have my membranes stripped, so we did. I had lots of cramping and some bleeding, but the real fun started two days later on January 28th.

I started losing more globs and blood. Every time I went to the bathroom there was more. I couldn’t eat without being sick to my stomach and every time Matt cooked something, I wanted to puke. I kept on like this until around 11:00 on Jan 29th. I had a late, very nutritious dinner of beef Rice-A-Roni and chatted and complained with my friend Kristie until around 11 or so when M got off work. I asked him to come rub my back for a few minutes before I went to sleep, and as I was laying down I had one really strong cramp. I figured it was just a change in position. About 10 minutes later and I had another one, but I didn’t think anything of it, I just wanted to sleep. Then I had 3 of them about 7 minutes apart and I started to think that maybe they were contractions. They still didn’t hurt though, so I wasn’t convinced.

I got up, went to the bathroom and noticed more blood and a quarter sized clot. The clot worried me, so I called my midwife’s office. I had seen two midwives throughout pregnancy and I was so thankful that it was one of them who was on call that night. Bonnie called me back about 10 minutes later. During the time between when I had called and she called back I had started bleeding more heavily and I was shaking uncontrollably. We decided that because it would take about 45 minutes to get everything at home set and to get to the hospital, that I had better come get checked out and if nothing had changed, she’d send me back home.

Matt asked if he could take a shower before he went to pick up my mom and I said sure, I was still having just mild cramping every 7 minutes or so and shaking like a leaf. He got in the shower and was in there for 10 minutes. By the time he got out, my contractions were 3 minutes apart and pretty hard, so I was yelling at him to HURRY! HURRY! HURRY! He went to get my mom and was back in 10 minutes. I was still demanding that he RUN because I didn’t want to have a baby in the car on the way.

By the time we got me in the car, I was having a hard time getting through the contractions. I rolled down the window and turned the heater on my feet. Matt kept asking, “What’s wrong???” like I wasn’t in hard labor or something.

I walked through the door of the birth center at 1:30 and they had a room ready for me. They checked me out and I was at 7cm. I labored for a bit standing and rocking, bent over my bed. My contractions were about 2 minutes apart when we filled the tub up. I got in, but mostly stayed on my hands and knees. I started to realize that I wasn’t feeling anything in my abdomen at all, only my back, so he probably wasn’t in the best position. I stayed in the tub for almost an hour, only because I didn’t feel like I had it in me to get up. Then I started feeling pressure, and rules are, no pushing in the tub. Bonnie set up in the bathroom, just in case I stood up and the baby fell out or something. She thought I might like to labor or push on the toilet, but I just couldn’t.

She checked me when I got back to the bed and I was complete. I pushed on my hands and knees for about 30 minutes, then Bonnie suggested we break my water. She tried and it wouldn’t break! She claims it was titanium reinforced. It took her about 2 more tries to get it broken because it was stretched taught as a drum. We went for 15 more minutes on hands and knees and he was just right there, but not getting out, so Bonnie suggested I try on my back even though it didn’t seem like the best idea to me, she thought it would help. Within about 15 minutes he was crowning. I think it took about 5 or 6 good pushes to get his head out and then another two or three for his shoulders. I think I was pushing for about an hour and a half total, but it might have been less. At 4:25, after only 3 hours of hard labor, Sean Matthew (who didn’t have a name at the time) was born. We waited for the cord to stop pulsing, which only took about 10 minutes, clamped it and cut. Because of previous bleeding issues, they gave me pitocin and massaged my uterus to deliver the placenta. I didn’t even notice the pitocin.

I remember at one point while pushing that I was growling at everyone and seriously sounding like my head should be spinning while I was spewing green goo. I also dropped more f-bombs than I have ever done in my entire life. I asked stupid questions and moaned and screamed. I can remember losing control a few times and Matt and my midwife bringing me back down. I also remember cracking up laughing while Sean was crowning. I said something like, “Get this baby the F- Out of me!” and my midwife responded, “I’ll make sure to ask God when I see him to add handles to version 2.0.” I almost died. I was trying to breathe and rest between contractions and pushing, but I was laughing so hard I was snorting. I can remember apologizing profusely for my sailor’s mouth and yelling at people and the nurse laughing at me.

All in all, everything was perfect. I escaped with only 3 stitches after giving vaginal birth to a 10 lb, 2oz baby. His head circumference was 14.75 inches, and my midwife said he was the 2nd largest baby she’s ever seen delivered vaginally. She thinks I am a total Rock Star and was bragging to the other midwives about my unmedicated birth of a giant baby, or so the midwife on call told me the next day.

Just after pushing out my monster of a baby, I looked at DH and said, "I am rethinking having a third... that hurt!" And now I must have amnesia. He's only 6 days old and I am thinking about when the best time to have another would be!
Unschooling, mama to Ryleigh 01/06, Sean 01/10 and Kellen 8/13

I sell LuLaRoe, check it out!
AmberP is offline   Reply With Quote