View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #12
TeganFlannery
Registered Users

Re: where to start... assessing my child's intelligence?

I was an extremely active, smart child who thrived in public school, so I'm going to a little PSA for the environment I had.

It depends on the school. When I was in Wisconsin, I was allowed to learn at my own pace even if that was leaps and bounds ahead of my peers. I remember reading "Black Beauty" to my class in 1st grade because my teacher always cried at the end. I always had lots of "special projects".

When we moved to Georgia in 3rd grade, all students were evaluated on learning styles and assigned teachers based on that. I was in the same class as 20 other kids for the rest of elementary school. Mostly boys And we were rambunctious, loud learners.

Elementary school is SO MUCH about emotional development, it's important not to undermine that. Although I was smart, I started a year later than most because of my size. Most of the kids in my classes in late elementary school were older, too. They went to a class called "Cluster" in between K and 1st to grow a little.

The best advice I think you can get is to be proactive, which you are by thinking ahead. And if it's not working, change it. Change teachers, change schools, homeschool, whatever makes your LO thrive and love learning.

ETA: Your idea for testing might be a doubled edged sword. We live in a world of helicopter parents who think their child is the only special one. You walk into the elementary school saying, "Look, my child is SO SMART" the teacher might just roll their eyes. On the other hand, if you have "proof" then perhaps...

I would focus on learning style, not smarts. There was this fascinating study done where children who were identified as "smart" came to fear failure so much they lied about test scores and would not try new things. Children praised for effort went above and beyond and were not afraid to fail or succeed.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...7/ai_60059979/

Have you read "Outliers"? It makes a case for creating opportunities for children to succeed in an interesting way.

Last edited by TeganFlannery; 03-03-2010 at 12:58 PM. Reason: addition
TeganFlannery is offline   Reply With Quote