View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
kmbrlyv
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Gluten Free, dairy free and in a cooking rut...

A meal that I usually make for friends coming over with gluten problems is a high veggie beef stew. We use 1 lb of very lean beef, several varieties of root veggies (parsnip, carrot, potato, turnip, onions, and of course garlic), a gluten free whole grain (usually buckwheat or brown rice), a few fresh herbs (oregano and thyme), a dried bay leaf (to be removed later), and kale.

Brown the meat in the pan with the onions and garlic. Add the root veggies when the onions are translucent. I usually add about 8 to 10 cups of water to it if I don't have veggie broth around. Once it starts simmering add a cup of your choice of whole grains. Add your herbs along with some salt and cracked black pepper to taste. Let simmer for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add kale at the end and simmer for another couple minutes to wilt it.

This usually holds up pretty well and gets my really picky DSD to eat lots of veggies. We've never had any issues as far as gluten intolerances but there are plenty of recipes that I have that would work for you...including several thai recipes (non of which involve dairy or gluten...just lots of coconut milk and chili!). LMK if you need any of them.
kmbrlyv is offline   Reply With Quote