Thread: sibling rivalry
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
magooken
Registered Users
seller

sibling rivalry

hi, there. my older sister is in town, and she said some things that are really bothering me. i have 2 daughters, one is 3 and the other is 6 months. we got on the topic of being sisters and how the older one feels when the little one comes. since i'm the youngest, i have no idea now big sisters feel about this. she made a comment that what would probably make my oldest daughter happiest would be to stab her younger sister in the heart! okay, she was probably exaggerating, but ugh, it just made me so mad. partly because that's probably how she felt about me and also because i think that my oldest genuinely likes her little sister. she maybe doesn't understand the drop in attention that she's getting lately, but she seems to understand that we all love each other and we try to spend as much time together as we can.

she also said that my oldest was "testing boundaries" when she was playing with her sister earlier. she was waving a teddy bear around her and making her laugh, then she hit her hand with the bear (but he's really soft, so it didn't hurt). it seemed like an accident to me or her just playing rough like she does with her friends, but my sister made it sound like she was trying to figure out just how much she could do to her sister before i got mad.

my sister and i get along okay, but there's (obviously) some lingering stuff from when we were kids. it's obviously this older/younger stuff, but i feel like it's all initiated by her. i could go into more details, but i won't bore you .

anyway, so do all older siblings feel this way? i feel like my sister thinks that, but maybe that's just her rationalizing why she felt that way toward me. any insight would be appreciated! thanks!