View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #28
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: how do you protect your kids from molestation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
As I said in my post, I'm not at all offended and I do get it. I would be worried too. No need to explain. Because I have this in my past, I have researched it a lot. It's been a while since I looked at the stats, but men are MUCH more likely to abuse than women when it comes to young children. I've seen stats in the mid-high 90% in the past, but it's been a while since I looked. I have irrational fears connected to this topic, but mine are much more concerned with family members or close friends and even children, all of whom are much more likely do something than someone at school is. But, anytime my children have the possibility of being alone with a man (rarely), no matter who, I think about it. It makes me sad, but it is what it is.

I understand completely where you are coming from. I have been there unfortunately and am the same way. I don't think your fears are irrational. The rate of abuse is mind boggling. I teach my daughter and have some very good books to help. The best one right now is: Those Are MY Private Parts, got it on amazon. I also know that once the horse is out of the barn, there's no going back. You are so correct to mention other children. An important thing to remember is the balance of power. A 7 year old would have a very hard time not being manipulated by an 11 year old for example. Those 2 are not ages to be playmates without being closely supervised. Also you are correct in that men and boys are much more likely to offend. The pp who said otherwise is wrong. In fact boys are much more likely to experiment sexually with each other than girls.