View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #16
angelarose
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How to tell midwife I want UAC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
I understand this totally, but I'm still going with a midwife for the labor and birth. I really would like to be alone for this birth (my husband slept through most of the labor, also). I was alone with my first because that's just the way it worked out, and I'm afraid that if there are a bunch of people there this time, that labor will be harder and/or longer, but I've decided that I can't take the chance of there being a complication that a trained midwife could have anticipated and helped with. We also have no idea how we are going to pay our midwife, but we'll figure it out somehow. I do worry about if she'll be hands-off enough for my comfort level, but I think that the risks outweigh the benefits. My midwife had 2 unassisted births herself before becoming liscenced. I think she is more careful now than she was then, but I still hope that she'll be hands-off unless there is a possible problem.

that said...I really wouldn't want to pay 4000$ for prenatal care and postpartum only. I would probably just consent to having her at the birth and pay her for the whole thing.
I feel very much the same way. I will see how I feel when I actually get in labor and probably decide in that moment whether to call her or not. I am just afraid that I am going to feel as intolerant to the presence of others as I was with my first childbirth. I couldn't bear my husband to even be in the same room with me and was so relieved he slept through most of my labor in another room. Maybe now that I know what to expect I will be able to tolerate other people being around. I honestly don't know how other women do it, especially in hospitals when multiple people are coming into the room talking to and touching you, even doing vaginal exams! It seems torturous!