View Single Post
Old 04-07-2014, 02:11 PM   #8
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you HS a child with 'special needs' ADHD/ADD or the like?

My son doesn't have the ADHD diagnosis(though he has it, we just haven't gotten him diagnosed) but does have SPD and potentially high functioning autism. We decided to homeschool prior to the diagnosis, but now know it is the best option for him. He would have floundered in PS because of his needs.

He is a very smart boy but can't stay focused on anything very long. We try and use things that work for him to teach him. We use All About Spelling for spelling because it is hands on and allows for him to "do" something to learn to spell. I try not to worry about the "bad" days we have because on "good" days we get a lot done.

He can't sit still for more than 5 or 10 minutes, so we work with that...I let him bounce around, walk, move in whatever way works for him, etc. When he is struggling to actually write his answers to his math, I do them orally with him and I write the answers. We use rewards like video game time, special shows, etc to motivate him to do the things he doesn't like. He REALLY enjoys science, so I try and find things that are science related and let him do as much of that as he wants.

I have also discovered that if something is too easy for him, then he will act out/up more and he needs to be challenged in order to focus. I let him read for fun whatever he wants while requiring other reading for school stuff and I do a lot of reading aloud to him for school stuff. We also have to do school without his siblings running around/distracting him. We turn all electronics off and limit the external input so he can better focus on the task at hand.

It has been a learning experience for both of us and we are better able to meet his needs now at the end of the year than we were at the beginning of the year when we didn't really know how to cope with his needs.