View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #43
Rainshine Designs
formerly "meganbathgate"
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is it just me or are wahm diaper prices on the rise?

I just purchased 200 yds of bamboo fleece directly from the mill. After shipping costs are factored, it's still almost $10/yd! However, most small WAHMs can't outlay for that much at one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momgoddess View Post
The prices make me wonder if they buy their supplies at wholesale, as any cottage industry business should so that they can make an adequate profit while still keeping products affordable. Some of the prices, like $45 for fitted diaper...I wonder if the business is buying supplies at retail cost or what. (I used to work in fabric and notions wholesale distribution directly with fabric stores, quilt shops, manufacturers and cottage industry businesses) and I used to have a WAHM diaper business.

If you have a business license or have your business registered with your state (depending on how your state does it) then you can buy any and all fabrics and notions etc at wholesale cost, which is half the cost of retail. So, if bamboo for instance is about $10/yard retail cost, then a business would get it for about $5/yard. Retailers of fabric make 100% profit. However, then you must account for the time/labor it takes to make the item. However, a WAHM should not be paying retail for anything and expect to turn a profit. It wouldn't work.

Enter code DSMAMA at checkout to receive 5% off your order.
Rainshine Designs is offline   Reply With Quote