View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: chicken drama help

Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
About the dog come? We give our chickens a handful of dogfood everyday. They love it, and they have all done very well. It also seems to strengthen their shells. It seemed like they were craving more protien than was in the feed, and we've done this for like a year and a half and I haven't seen any ill effects. My chickens are free range, so I'd say they get more protien than cooped chickens (lots of bugs). What's bad about dog food? Sometimes our cat gets into the chicken food too. Is that bad?

As far as the OP...I would try dog food, lol. And make sure they have plenty of space--as much as possible. I don't know if you live under regulations, but I would try to get 1 rooster, if possible. Sometimes a hen will start bullying and acting like a rooster if there is none present. Remove the one that's being picked on if there is blood, or they will kill her, and then probably start in on each other. If you can't give them any more room, try to keep them from getting bored. Good luck!

I was possibly misinformedbefore. I did reasearch that said dog food as treats is OK, LOL. Overall I think that it should be quality dog food as well. I hear you can give cat food as well, but it is not a fantastic option (for whatever reason). Anyway I stand corrected, I was told anything but chicken feed and a few selected treats are not a good idea. Guess that is what is for.... Guess my chickens will be getting some dog food today
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote