View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 11:27 PM   #2
hsjwmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Am I a worrywart?

mama

You have every right to be worried. I had a preterm "scare" at 27 weeks. The doc my midwife sent me to pooh-poohed me and sent me home. My midwife still said to cut back my hours at work and limit lifting etc. Fast forward to a day shy of 32 weeks. Contracting again. Nothing painful or uncomfortable so I wasn't sure if it was anything. I CALLED. My midwife had me come in to get put on the monitors. I WAS contracting. A LOT. She set me up in a bed there to get me better hydrated and give me some meds. After a bit, sent me home. Well, the next day, despite being on the meds (Brethine) I started losing my mucus plug. I called my midwife and she sent me straight to Women's Hospital to meet a different doc. By the time I got there, they could barely stop my labor. And it still didn't hurt or anything. I got to 3cm by the time they stopped it. 3 weeks of hospital bedrest and drugs later, dd1 was born.

My point is this. CALL!!! I can't tell you how many times I called my midwife because of the contractions that I wasn't sure I was having. If you are feeling pressure down low, all those contractions you're having could be dilating you. I would rather be seen as a hysterical first time mom (I know you're not ) than risk the life and health of my baby. Your doctor is the professional...the reason you're seeing him is for his specialized knowledge, right? Let him earn his fee. There's no need to be guessing what's going on with you if your doctor may be able to give you some answers.