Old 10-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #22
penguinande
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Best 1st kids novel/chapter book to read aloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle View Post
My daughter is 5 and we have begun chapter books. She has also beginning to read early readers, so we have a few things going on here. We've read the first Magic Treehouse and the first A to Z Mysteries and even though my daughter liked them I'm hoping to find something a bit better. In the realm of series, I'll try Boxcar Children, and I may reach back to Narnia and Charlottes Web.

Even though my daughter has always operated at a pretty high level I've held off on straight up chapter books until now, with the exception of Winnie the Pooh, which is kind of continuous but with lots of illustrations. I did try the first Treehouse book last year at age 4 and it was a bust, and Nick read her The Hobbit, which she enjoyed. But there are so many fantastic picture books out there for 3 year olds. I believe the gorgeous art is worth lingering in picture books for another year. This is why I love the library so much. There are many intelligent, well written picture books, and once you jump to chapter books, the quality and quantity of the art drops off quite a bit.
Oh we will definitely still be reading picture books! I just thought we might try branching out to chapter books for our nap/nighttime routine. I wonder if she would enjoy The Hobbit at this age. I would love to read that to her.
penguinande is offline   Reply With Quote