View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #404
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ****Winter**** Chicken Moma chat thread. Join in the chat!

Well crap. I found several websites that listed them as dual purpose breeds so I was hoping they would be ok. But the lady ended up not being home so I'm going to go get it Monday instead. So hoping someone lists a better breed of rooster for me between now and then.

And what happens when two very indecisive people go to the farm store. Well, it's not 4 chickens. We ended up with 5 chicks because we just couldn't pick. We got 2 RIRs, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Buff Orpington, and 1 Golden Laced Wyendott. Basically we tried all of them that said they were heavier birds, winter hardy, and good winter layers. So here's hoping we have eggs next winter too. Although it occurred to us on the way home it might not just be the breed that gives us eggs all winter. We kept thinking we were still getting eggs because they were RIRs. But our cross bred chicken is still laying too. And our friends who were saying theirs stopped laying several months ago has RIRs too. So now I"m wondering what we're doing right that's keeping them laying. Probably all my good vegi scraps or the heat lamp and heated waterer. Not completely sure but we like having eggs all year.

Oh, and for the person who comes to N. Utah, they do not have all their chicks in yet. They just have the basics right now. But part of the reason I prefer them over Cal Ranch is because they buy in mainly pullets. Cal ranch buys in straight runs and only charges about $.75 less a bird. IMO that isn't worth getting half roosters. But I know as we get much further into spring IFA will get a lot more breeds in than they have now.

ETA: I was kind of sad they didn't have buckeyes. We would have probably had to get 6 if they'd had them. And now I'll be keeping my eyes open for them.

Last edited by slimy72; 02-16-2013 at 11:46 PM.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote