View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
BigSamsMom
Registered Users
seller

Re: 15 mo has a cold...and supposed to fly Sunday

Try to see if you can get her to do a true nasal rinse (i.e. with a Neil Med bottle) morning and night. This is about the same age my Big Sam started tolerating them, and we haven't had an ear infection since! Before he transitioned to the Neil Med Bottles, I started with a blue hospital nose aspirator filled with the salt water solution and gently shot it up his nostril with a towel beneath his chin to catch what ran out the other nostril. This cleans the nose out so much better than saline spray and suctioning. She will fight it at first, but stay persistent, it doesn't take them long to realize that a nasal rinse clears all that yucky snot out and they can suddenly breathe better - it only took 2-3 forced rinses for my Sam to accept them willingly. Sam is now 3.5 years old, and he has been doing his own nasal rinses when he catches a cold, since he was just shy of 2 years old. It also wouldn't hurt to call your Ped and see if she will call in some antibiotic ear drops just in case you need them. Our Ped did this for us when we flew Houston to Florida and Sam caught a cold beforehand. We didn't end up needing it, but it was nice to have on hand. I also keep a sanitized dropper bottle (old Mylicon bottle) full of olive oil that I've sauteed garlic in, I strain it and put it in the bottle. Nuke it in the microwave for 10 seconds when needed, and make sure it's not too warm. A few drops of this in the ear, takes ear pain away immediately and the garlic is a natural antibiotic/antimicrobial. Obviously you can't use the olive oil solution if she has tubes in her ears, but it works wonders if she doesn't. Stay away from the Benadryl and Claritin.... antihistamines only dry up and thicken snot, leaving it in the sinuses to fester and cause infection. Once she's old enough, I am a true believer in Mucinex and nasal rinses only when treating a cold, along with hot showers and humidifiers in the bed room. The vapo rub helps too!
BigSamsMom is offline   Reply With Quote