Thread: Signing
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2007, 04:54 PM   #4
Driverdog
Registered Users

Re: Signing

I'd really encourage you in this direction - we absolutely loved baby signing. I didn't honestly know until reading the above that there were different systems out there, but we used Baby Signs by Linda Acredolo, PHD and Susan Goodwyn, PHD. We didn't use a video and didn't feel like we needed to, since the book was plently self explainatory.

I was really enthusiastic and started WAY too early (around 3 months) and I got pretty discouraged. Then, I backed off and used only the most pertinent signs like nurse, eat, drink, dog (since we have one), more, etc. I did that until she was 11 months, when I started to realize that she understood the signs just fine, she just wasn't using them. It became clear that she wasn't going to use them, unless she needed to for some reason. So, I decided to wait to nurse her until she signed. I know that sounds nuts, but I knew she was perfectly capable, she just wasn't feeling the need. Worked like a charm. And it became her breakthrough, AHA! moment that really catapulted her into the signing world. After that, she started doing about 1 or 2 new signs each day until by 18 months she was up to about 70+ signs!

It's not just a cool parlor trick, it's a very useful, empowering tool for babies and toddlers. I found that our DD not only enjoyed communicating her needs better, but it cut down on her frustrations, and early on it laid the foundation for basic conversation and talking. She was an early talker and I think it was because of the signing we taught her.

Good luck and best wishes!