View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #23
soonerfan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
Especially today..

"Homosexuality has been witnessed and observed throughout the animal world "

How does that have anything to do with humans? How is that a good argument? Animals eat poop too. They eat their babies sometimes.

Explain this argument to me.

I am all for Gay marriage and equality. I am just finding "animals do it" as a poor argument.
Humans are also animals, so the comparison is used as an example of natural behaviors found in other animals, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam's mum View Post
I think maybe you're not the target audience for the point. The fact that homosexuality is common in nature is an argument against opinions that

a) homosexuality is unnatural
b) homosexuality "goes against God's plan"
c) homosexuality is a choice
d) homosexuality is a product of a degenerate culture or society

It's not a glorification of the way of the wolf, it's simply a counter-fact to correct various homophobic assumptions. If you don't share those assumptions, then you don't need to hear it
Perfectly said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
This. I have seen same sex animals hump each other, but that doesn't make them gay, therefore that argument is useless. I've haven't seen same sex animals carry out a long term sexual relationship. It's more of "I have a need that I need to fill *right now*" than an "I'm gay" thing.
It can be both a display of dominance or a sexual preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...gayanimal.html

posting this again

Dogs hump to show dominance, not because of sexuality of any kind. This link talks about homosexuality in the animal world.
Excellent link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
If this is directed at me....in my post I was not referring specifically to dogs. Cattle and goats and many other animals will hump a same sex animal when they are in heat. That leads me to believe that they have sexual urges that are not fulfilled rather than making me think they are gay.

As far as the national geographic article, I don't put much stock in those.
There are many other places to find the same information if NatGeo doesn't work for you. The existence of homosexuality in nature really isn't debatable.