View Single Post
Old 11-13-2006, 04:00 PM   #4
cowgirldjo
Registered Users
seller

Re: Favorite Banana Bread Recipe?

I just made this last week and it turned out oh so yummy! It is from the Betty Crocker 40th Anniversary cook book:
1 1/2 c sugar
1/2 c marg or butter, softened
2 eggs
1 1/2 c mashed ripe bananas (3-4 medium)
**1/2 cup buttermilk**
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 c chopped nuts (optional)

I made this years ago and didn't have the buttermilk, so I looked in the back at the substitutions and it says you can use 1 Tablespoon of lemon or vinegar plus enough milk to make 1 cup, then let stand for a few minutes. I have always done it this way now since I so enjoyed how it turned out. If you aren't making a double recipe, then just use 1/2 tablespoon and enough milk to make 1/2 cup. I think I used about 5 very ripe bananas las week for my double recipe. I make some mini loaves, that way I can make some with nuts (hubby is a nut fanatic) and some without. For the ones with nuts I put a couple large pieces of nut on top to be able to tell them apart.
Happy baking!

Almost forgot the directions
Oven at 350F, grease bottoms only of loaf pans...my double recipe made 6 mini loaves and 1 regular sized loaf, if that helps. Mix sugar and marg in large bowl, stir in eggs until well blended. Add bananas, buttermilk (or substitution) and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients except nuts just until moistened. Stir in nuts. Pour into pans, bake 8 inch loaves about 1 hr, 9 inch loaf about 1 1/4 hours or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes, loosen sides from pans, then remove from pans. It says to cool completely before slicing and I have NEVER been able to wait to try it
I usually set the timer for less than required, then check for it to be browned on top and a clean toothpick...I hate to overcook it and have it be too dry.
Have fun baking!