View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #41
Sarai*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Advice please! Adopted dog is aggressive toward kids

I personally don't think they screened the dog well enough. The dog should have been fostered in a family with children to see how she reacted to kids. I know it's hard, but please don't feel guilty like the shelter person is trying to make you, especially given the dogs background. If she lived with 19 other dogs, she was not well socialized. The reason that the shelter person got so defensive is because placing a potentially child aggressive dog with a family with children REFLECTS VERY BADLY ON THE SHELTER, and they are trying to deflect blame.

I have no advice about the dog, but something similar happened to us a few years ago, when the rescue we tried to adopt bit my then 6 year old son in the face twice in 24 hours with absolutely no provocation. It turned out the dog really hadn't been screened. When I insisted on her immediate removal, the rescue person found out that the dog was aggressive, period, and tried to attack her own dog.

My whole reason for writing is to tell you not to let others take their own shortcomings, and make you feel guilty. This was a high risk dog, they didn't do their homework. I hope it works out for you!