Old 04-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
ericak95
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Post a recipe

Here are a few of my families favorites

Banana Fruit Bread

1/2 c shortening (I've used half butter with good results)
1 c sugar
2 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
3 bananas (I've always used 3 doesn't seem to matter if they're large or small)
1/4 c chocolate chips
1/4 c chopped nuts (we use walnuts but have made it without nuts)
1/2 c chopped maraschino cherries
(I also use maybe a tablespoon of cherry juice)

Cream shortening and sugar, then add eggs. Beat well. Combine flour soda and salt. Mash bananas. add flour mixture alternatively, with mashed bananas into the shortening mixture and mix well. Then add the remaining ingredients (chocolate chips, nuts, and cherries)

Place into a greased loaf pan and bake at 350 for an hour you may need to cover it to wards the end so it doesn't get too dark. Instead of using a loaf pan one batch fills 3 baby loaf pans nicely and they make great additions to gift baskets. I bake baby loafs for about 35min then cover loosley with foil and continue to bake for another 15-20min.

And this also freezes well. It's almost better frozen and thawed because all the flavors blend so nicely. Generally it doesn't make it to the freezer around here

Overnight Buns
To be started at aprox 7pm

4 cups warm water in large bowl. Add 1 cup shortening, 1 cup sugar, 1 tbsp salt, 1pkg yeast, 2 cups all purpose flour, beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add 6-8 cups flour. Dough should be slightly sticky. Let rise at room temp for aproximately 2 hours. Knead down and let rise 1 1/2 - 2 hours more. Roll dough to aprox 1/2 inch and cut with cutter (buscit cutter works good). Place on greased cookie sheet aprox 2" apart. Cover with light cloth, and leave at room temp overnight. Bake at 400 degrees 12-15 minutes until golden.

makes aprox 6 dozen

BLT DIP

INGREDIENTS
1 pound bacon
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp season salt
1 tomato - peeled, seeded and diced

DIRECTIONS
Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain on paper towels.
In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise and sour cream, season salt. Crumble bacon into the sour cream and mayonnaise mixture. Mix in tomatoes just before serving.

I serve this in a bread bowl lined with lettuce leaves (the only way to add the L) then serve with pre-sliced baby bread circles found in the bakery section near the bread bowls. I've taken this to 3 functions now and it's been gone down to the bread bowl.