Old 12-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Natural remedies for ADD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
There is ADD and ADHD. Some of my family is ADD and my DH and ds1 is ADHD. Here explains the differences http://www.adhdchildparenting.com/ad...difference.php
I am splitting hairs here, but the actual "ADD" diagnosis is ADHD-I or ADHD-PI since ADD is simply a subcategory of ADHD. According to wiki:

Quote:
Attention deficit disorder (ADD) is one of the three subtypes of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). The term was formally changed in 1994 in the new Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fourth edition (DSM-IV) to "ADHD predominantly inattentive" (ADHD-PI or ADHD-I), though the term attention deficit disorder is still widely used.

Quote:
There are three subtypes of the disorder which consist of it being predominantly inattentive (ADHD-PI or ADHD-I), predominately hyperactive-impulsive (ADHD-HI or ADHD-H), or the two combined (ADHD-C). Oftentimes people refer to ADHD-PI as "Attention deficit disorder" (ADD), however, the term was revised in the 1994 version of the DSM.
I really wish that they would replace the "H" with an "I" for impulsivity as the "H" isn't so much about being hyper as it is about lack of impulse control. Not sure what the DSMV-V is going to do though.

OP, I urge you to look into getting your child properly diagnosed by a neuropsychologist. Once you have a diagnosis, the school and teacher can put supports in place that can help your daughter focus better at school. Small things like moving her to a less distracting spot in the classroom, on task reminders, and breaking large tasks into more doable chunks could be ways to help.

ETA: Not all stimulants are created equal and not all stimulants will help an ADHD person. Adderall may work for one person with ADHD but be terrible for another. That same person who received no benefit from Adderall could very well do great with Concerta. Both are stimulant medications, but they act differently for different people. Unless someone has tried all the stimulant medications out there and none work, it's not accurate to make a blanket statement.

Last edited by mcpforever; 12-11-2012 at 02:10 PM.
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote