View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006, 12:02 PM   #33
Re: Number of children and cost of living?

To me this subject is a matter of personal choice, balance, and perspective. I have one child and I only want to have one child. It's what works for our life. We don't want our son in daycare so I only work part-time and he either stays with my husband or mother while I'm away. This has changed our finances a bit, but we get by. We don't have cable television, I shop consignment stores and garage sales, no more manicures either!

We're fortunate. My husband makes a good living. We live in safe community with excellent schools. Cost of living is low, in my opinion. Our home (3 bedroom, 2 bath) cost around $150,000. Our life is nice, but not extravagant. We are comfortably able to provide for the needs of our family. If we have more children that situation would change, and I'm not willing to do that.

My SIL has a very different view than mine. She wants lots of children, even if it means living off her credit cards and government assistance to do it. That's a choice she's comfortable with.

My hunch is my child and her children will have very different lives...but they all with be loved and well cared for and to me that's what matters. There's not a right answer to the "how many children?" all works out in the end.
Shawna_L is offline   Reply With Quote