Thread: Vegetarian help
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 10:11 AM   #11
blackannis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vegetarian help

I'm not veggie, but cookbook that I've heard is good is How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman. I have his How to Cook Everything, which is particularly good for basic stuff, so if the veggie one is anything like that, it could be really useful.

For a right-off-the-bat dish to try, I'd suggest a lentil bake--it's simple and tasty enough that even taste buds used to meat wil go for it with no issues. I do one from the cookbook More with Less, and everyone--vegetarian, vegan, omnivore--likes it. DH and I are unrepentant omnivores (though we do try to get "clean meat"--local, pasture-raised stuff), and never feel the need to add meat to this dish. We actually served it at a Christmas party last week, and it went really fast. The recipe:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish:

1 3/4 c. lentils, rinsed [be SURE to pick them over for small stones--I nearly broke my DH's tooth once when I didn't pick over the lentils well enough!]
2 c. water
1 bay leaf
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. marjoram
1/8 tsp. sage
1/8 tsp. thyme
2 lg. onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans tomatoes

Cover tightly with foil and bake 30 minutes.

Add: 2 large carrots in 1/8 inch slices, 1 cup thinly sliced celery. Bake 40 minutes.

Add 1 green pepper, chopped; 2 tablespoons parsley [these two are optional--I never put them in because we don't like to get off-season peppers, and I don't like using the oven in the summer!]. Sprinkle 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese or cheese sub on top. Bake 5 minutes longer.
blackannis is offline   Reply With Quote