Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
ABove the 50% babies.. what gives?

I have pretty average kiddos.. William just went to get his weight and stuff checked out. And he is in the 80% for weight and height.. or something like that.. well I had asked the lady about what that means.. and I was happy that he was " above average" and she went on to tell me that babies should stay closer to the 50% area.. and that when a child gets to 95% for there weight then that is a problem that they are over weight??!! I thought that anything above the 50% ment that they were healthy? She didnt tell me that he was "fat" she kept calling him thick .. and he would " thin out " for me not to worry . I told her I wasnt worried at all .. ( I am 5'7 110 pds..and dh is 6' 157 pds ) we are not big ppl . but anywho.. why is it that ppl think our kids are overeating or something or worried that they might stay above average.. I just dont get it ..
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:46 PM   #2
debbidala
Registered Users
seller

Re: ABove the 50% babies.. what gives?

That's so dumb! The percentiles just tell you what is "normal" for the general population - obviously there are variations, we're all different! What's really important with those charts is that a child's growth follow the curve (not stay flat or spike straight up over time), not WHERE on the curve they fall. My now-5-year-old has always been off the charts - he's 50th percentile for a 9 year old now, nowhere near the chart for his own age group, and that's for both height and weight, but his growth has followed the curve of the charts, and that's what matters.

Sorry to ramble - it sounds like your ds is doing GREAT! Good for you not to listen to that lady!
Old 02-17-2007, 06:52 PM   #3
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

um yeah, that's pretty stupid. my son is just now leaning more towards "normal". he was never even on the weight charts until his 9 month appt. he is perfect, and so is your baby
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:57 PM   #4
JenMah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OH MY--how rude!
FWIW--my first son was OFF the charts (on the high side) until he was 3 years old--now he's the smallest kid in his 5th grade class. SILLY!

Mommy-Mom to Mason-13, Molly-10, Maguire-5, Meredith-2.5
JenMah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:02 PM   #5
kkmoto
Registered Users
seller

Ignor her- she is ignorant. As long as they are heathy, happy and continue to grow who cares. I have 4 kids, I have a 3%til a 25-50%til and the babies are 10-25%til. I am 5' 2" and we have a tiny family dh being the tallest at 5'9".
Old 02-17-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
worldsaver
Registered Users

My Mood:

oh good lord, what a rude lady!

My kids are always 95th+% and as long as they stay right around the curve I think theyre doing great. Their pedi said it doesn't matter much as long as they stay right around what's normal for them
worldsaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:12 PM   #7
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

Jeez. Is that nurse related to my in-laws? My DD was around 90th for weight and 75th for height at one time. Crazy MIL and BIL (bachelor, no kids) had my DH convinced that Morgan was fat. I kept telling him that breastfed babies often start out that way, but slim down later, and that she was perfectly normal. I finally had to drag him to a doctor's appt. with me so he'd believe it. Right now, she's a 21 pound 30 inch long 15 month old. The only reason to worry is if they lose ground steadily, their height and weight percentiles are drastically different (like 25th for height and 95th for weight) or are off the chart for a long period of time (like years). And even then, their growth pattern may be perfectly normal for their family. Your DS is fine. I think people are so obsessed with weight, that they don't even know what normal is any more.
ceilismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:32 PM   #8
crunchymomma
Banned
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMah View Post
OH MY--how rude!
FWIW--my first son was OFF the charts (on the high side) until he was 3 years old--now he's the smallest kid in his 5th grade class. SILLY!
This is us too... even same grade . Mine has one girl in the school who is shorter than him and until he hit age three, he ran between the 90th and 105th percentile.

I had a nurse tell me that my son needed to lose weight when he was like 8 months old. I wanted to slap her! Geez Nurse Dumba$%, let me put my 8 month old on atkins diet to please you!!!!!
crunchymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #9
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

I HATE growth charts. They are stupid and inaccurate. They don't make them seperately for breastfed, partially breastfed, and formula fed babies, which I think makes a HUGE difference. On the "unisex-formula-fed" growth chart, my DD dropped WAY below the 50% line (she had been maintaining 80-90% before that) On the breastfed baby girl growth chart that I found online, DD was following the lines of growth perfectly.

If every kid stayed on the 50% line, they would have to change the growth charts, and then some kids that WERE on the 50% line would end up on the 5th% or 95%...I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else LOL. I think growth charts should just be tossed out
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:07 PM   #10
hackermd
Registered Users
seller

first of all... How RUDE~

sounds like you've got one healthy kiddo! DD #1 was in the 5th percentile (5 years old now 50th percentile at 34lbs), dd#2 (8months old at 19lbs!) is in the 80th percentile... our military drs used to stress me out about how dd#1 wasn't gaining enough and how small she was, etc... it LITERALLY made me every time we had a check up! She's healthy and fine. I swear if they are a little big or a little smaller, someone always has something to say!

Now we have a civilian ped that is wonderful and says both girls are as they should be. Happy and healthy!

now if I had a Maury Povich child, I would want someone to say something...
hackermd is offline   Reply With Quote