Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2007, 02:29 PM   #1
mom2B
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Has anyone seen this kind of birthmark

I hope this is ok i have been here for a while and not posted much. I wanted to show you 3 pics of her from birth till now to show a example. Do these keep getting bigger, do they slow down. I am bothered by this but they dont seem to be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (3.4 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (3.9 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (2.3 KB, 140 views)
mom2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Has anyone seen this kind of birthmark

I can't see the first picture well, it's too small. I would be concerned though. Not something that's dangerous, more just something that might be an annoyance later in life for her.

Have you asked your Ped? What did they say?

My sister did have two that were smaller than that, but grew a little bit as she got bigger, then stopped growing. She's 12 now and they are both gone.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:43 PM   #3
my2babyboys
Registered Users
seller

It looks like a hemangeoma ( spelling ) raised filled blood vessels on the surface of the skin. My son was born with one about the size of a quarter on his tummy and it went away about 90% by his first birthday. He is now almost 3 1/2 and he only has two tiny red marks ( looks like 2 teeny red dots like popped blood vessels or something )
Nothing to worry about. Doctors usually dont remove them unless they grow and start to cause problems usually in the facial area
Old 02-22-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

my nephew has this on his forehead

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-a...red-birthmarks

not serious but it should be looked at
Old 02-22-2007, 02:48 PM   #5
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

That's just a strawberry mark. It'll go away as she gets older. DD had one on her scalp and it grew through the first year, now she is 2 1/2 and it has faded tons.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:53 PM   #6
suziraye
Registered Users
seller

my DD has one on her belly and one on the top of her head. her belly one has gotten bigger but her Dr says no worries, it gets bigger then starts going away. they say it should be gone by the time she is around 3. she just noticed it the other day and tried to rip it off! she is 11months.
suziraye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:11 PM   #7
my2babyboys
Registered Users
seller

These are pictures of DS. One is a picture of a picture ( have no scanner ) of his himangeoma at 3 months old. The second picture is him last summer at 2 yrs 9 months. You cant even tell he ever had one.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:47 PM   #8
jenmcfar
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I've seen these. They are pretty common and will get bigger before they get smaller. They are called a hemangioma. Usually pretty benign. I wouldn't worry. It will resolve on its own.Some parents do get laser treatments for their baby, but usually only if it is in a place that obstructs vision or eating.

http://www.drhull.com/EncyMaster/H/s...emangioma.html

hemangioma, strawberry

This birthmark is a type of capillary hemangioma which is usually not visible at birth, but enlarges rapidly thereafter. It is a bright red, raised, compressible tumor that has sharp borders. Strawberries can be found on any part of the body surface. These birthmarks enlarge until perhaps nine months of age, stabilize in size, and then begin slowly to shrink. The beginning of this shrinking process is marked by the appearance of grey flecks of scar tissue on the bright red surface of the birthmark. Gradually these flecks spread over the hemangioma, and as the scar tissue matures and shrinks, blood is squeezed out of the capillaries and they disappear, no longer bright red. Eventually, only a flat, slightly lighter patch of skin indicates where the birthmark once bulged. Also known as a mulberry birthmark.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...s?OpenDocument

And that one has more about several types of birthmarks.

HTH!
Old 02-22-2007, 02:52 PM   #9
my2babyboys
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmcfar View Post
Yes, I've seen these. They are pretty common and will get bigger before they get smaller. They are called a hemangioma. Usually pretty benign. I wouldn't worry. It will resolve on its own.Some parents do get laser treatments for their baby, but usually only if it is in a place that obstructs vision or eating.

http://www.drhull.com/EncyMaster/H/s...emangioma.html

hemangioma, strawberry

This birthmark is a type of capillary hemangioma which is usually not visible at birth, but enlarges rapidly thereafter. It is a bright red, raised, compressible tumor that has sharp borders. Strawberries can be found on any part of the body surface. These birthmarks enlarge until perhaps nine months of age, stabilize in size, and then begin slowly to shrink. The beginning of this shrinking process is marked by the appearance of grey flecks of scar tissue on the bright red surface of the birthmark. Gradually these flecks spread over the hemangioma, and as the scar tissue matures and shrinks, blood is squeezed out of the capillaries and they disappear, no longer bright red. Eventually, only a flat, slightly lighter patch of skin indicates where the birthmark once bulged. Also known as a mulberry birthmark.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...s?OpenDocument

And that one has more about several types of birthmarks.

HTH!
As I stated above, my son had a hemangeoma the size of a quarter and it was almost completely gone by age one, his never got any bigger than what it was when he was born. I dont want the mama who posted about this thinking her DCs is going to get bigger cause it might not, they dont all get bigger.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:15 PM   #10
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2babyboys View Post
As I stated above, my son had a hemangeoma the size of a quarter and it was almost completely gone by age one, his never got any bigger than what it was when he was born. I dont want the mama who posted about this thinking her DCs is going to get bigger cause it might not, they dont all get bigger.

But sometimes they do get bigger before they start fading.

My nephew had a small pin size red mark on his forehead and it kept getting bigger. now he is almost three and it just now started to fade.

The OP has also shown in pictures that her babies is getting bigger.

Just saying it can happen (get bigger) and it could stop altogether. Each child is different.