Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2007, 03:58 PM   #1
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

Pediatrician criticized me for nursing *their response letter*

i'm looking for a little support here

we had jack's one year well baby visit today, and i couldn't believe the things his ped said to me.

her: "so what is jack eating these days?"

me: "breastmilk and table food, he eats pretty much everything."

her: "you do realize that there is absolutely no nutritional benefit to nursing past one year, don't you?"

me: silence

her: (after my half a second of silence) "you REALLY need to wean him off of the breastmilk and introduce whole milk over the next three months, i'll be very concerned if he's not on whole milk by then"

me: silent head nods

my husband: "well he gets rice milk in his sippy as well" big mistake. i mean he only gets like an ounce per week for crying out loud.

her: "well that is absolute no, NO more rice milk. there is no vitamin D in rice milk, toddlers should NEVER have rice milk"

me: silence

her: "exactly how long do you plan to nurse?"

me: "i'd like to make it until two years"

her: "i find that very concerning, his nutritional needs are no longer being met by breastmilk, he needs whole milk, and if you won't do that, he needs to be on soy milk."

me: "ok....moving along...."

ok, i just had to do that! i was soooooooooo angry!!! i was seriously speechless! i mean how can she say that there is NO benefit to nursing past one year?? that's just asinine. why on earth would the WHO recommend a minimum of two years, if there were no benefit? does she think that my milk turns to water at the stroke of midnight on his one year birthday?

so mamas who nursed past one year, did anyone else get this much trouble from your ped about it? i had no plans to introduce cows milk to him for at least another couple of months, and then we were going to do it slowly. OH, and before i forget, i checked his container of organic rice milk as soon as we got home, and THERE IS VITAMIN D ADDED. one serving is 30% of the recommended daily allowance.

thanks for reading my rant, i feel better getting it out

Last edited by Fither; 03-08-2007 at 02:45 PM. Reason: updated info
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
travelinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Moms who nursed past one year....

Since when did your breastmilk change? That's just bull, your body is producing he same breastmilk that he's been nursing the past year. My doctor tried to pull that bull with me too. We haven't been back to him yet but I plan on presenting a lot of information when I do. So he doesn't try to "educate" other mothers like that

Info on breastfeeding and extended breastfeeding.
http://www.llli.org/ba/May06.html

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBextended.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/index.html

Last edited by travelinmom; 02-22-2007 at 04:12 PM.
travelinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:21 PM   #3
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Moms who nursed past one year....

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinmom View Post
Since when did your breastmilk change? That's just bull, your body is producing he same breastmilk that he's been nursing the past year. My doctor tried to pull that bull with me too. We haven't been back to him yet but I plan on presenting a lot of information when I do. So he doesn't try to "educate" other mothers like that

Info on breastfeeding and extended breastfeeding.
http://www.llli.org/ba/May06.html

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBextended.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/index.html
thank you for the links mama! i'm going to read them when my son is a little less demanding, lol. i think that won't be until after bed tonight!
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pediatrician criticized me for nursing past one year

I'd tell her flatout that she is uneducated about breastfeeding, and you'll be following the WHO recommendations, thank you very much. And I would stop the conversation there unless you really feel the need to get in an argument about educating her about it. Just put your foot down and say that she can keep her uneducated opinion to herself or you will find a new pediatrician who can actually KEEP UP with kids healthcare recc's.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:27 AM   #5
joyful mother
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenonyx View Post
I'd tell her flatout that she is uneducated about breastfeeding, and you'll be following the WHO recommendations, thank you very much. And I would stop the conversation there unless you really feel the need to get in an argument about educating her about it. Just put your foot down and say that she can keep her uneducated opinion to herself or you will find a new pediatrician who can actually KEEP UP with kids healthcare recc's.
Great idea, I was thinking just say "No benefit then why does the World Health Orginization recommend it?" It seems to me I read something about the AAP finding it beneficial, I don't know that they go as far as recommending it but they will in a few years if they aren't scared of making moms mad that don't want to. You do not have an out there view on it afterall WHO recommends it.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:54 PM   #6
-Blair-
Registered Users

Quote:
I completely agree! HOW RIDICULOUS!!!

I am proud of you for what you are doing, Mama. Keep up the great work!

Currently struggling with infertility (recurrent pregnancy loss).
-Blair- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:41 PM   #7
Artemis68
Registered Users

I couldn't keep reading all the posts. I was getting madder and madder as I read.

I live in an area that I am just dreading the 'advice' I'm going to get from friends and family when I nurse my little one much past a year.

I'm working on all my comebacks, like:

Excuse me, is my nursing my little one affecting you in some manner?

Anyway... before I get on my own little rant... I suggest you go to www.ratemds.com

Here you can rate your ped and let others know your experience. The guy that came up with this website.. PURE GENIUS!!

Not to mention I emailed him to ask that he add midwives so that I could tell the world how wonderful mine was, and he emailed me back that very same day!!!

www.ratemds.com
Artemis68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:07 PM   #8
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
WHAT SHE SAID!
We moved a while back and had to find a new ped- well, unexpectedly my DD started having seizures and the on-call ped ended up being our ped. She told me at our first official visit with her that when the on-call dr told her I was still nursing DD (about 18 months at the time), she was so relieved b/c she knew there was no concerns about hydration or nutrients.
That is a pediatrician to keep!
Old 05-30-2007, 05:48 PM   #9
Rosella
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Amen, sister.

We should remember that if a situation cannot be changed, there's no point in worrying about it. If it can be changed, there is no need to worry about it either, we should simply go about changing it. His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
Rosella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:23 PM   #10
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

Tell her to shut it! There is never a time where breastmilk doesn't have any benefit to a child.
Tell her that your breastfeeding is your business and you'll thank her to keep her 'opinions' about it to herself. Remind her that the AAP recommends breastfeeding to AT LEAST 12 months and the WHO recommends AT LEAST 2 years.
As long as your baby is growing and doing well, tell her to shove it.

I'm a little firecracker today, I had a bad day at work so you may not want to actually tell your Ped. to shove it, ok? But you get the idea.

Last edited by SugarBunsWool&More; 02-22-2007 at 04:27 PM.
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote