Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2006, 06:06 PM   #1
Sarah0903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I want to bf for over 1 year with my next....

but I have a lot of people telling me it is a gross thing. One of my close friends bf her son up to one year but she said anything over is borderline molestation. How do you all feel. I really want to bf at least until 18 months but need the support.
Sarah0903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:13 PM   #2
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I want to bf for over 1 year with my next....

My dd nursed until 2.5, and she's 8 and just fine. I am nursing ds2(2yo) & 3(6mo) now. It's not gross. Perfectly normal in most of the world.
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

What's gross about feeding your child? I always thought it was recommended to bf until age two and then after that as long as mutually acceptable. I think the mutually acceptable part for mommy and baby is the key to a healthy nursing relationship. Most people who are "grossed out" by the thought of bfing an older child, are usually uninformed. I say nurse as long as you can, it is healthier for your child in the long run. I nursed my ds until 18months, when he self-weaned. He is 5 now and is not traumatized in the least.
GL mamma!
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:20 PM   #4
bethanyjoy
Registered Users

I b/f my oldest until he self-weaned at 3.5, my younger son is almost weaned (mostly his own, a little gentle encouragement due to my pregnancy) at age 23 months.

http://www.kellymom.com has lots of research about "Extended" breastfeeding. I'd suggest taking time to educate yourself, and see how you feel.

Old 06-01-2006, 08:18 PM   #5
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love kellymom! Another great site with info about breastfeeding throughout history and around the world is http://www.kathydettwyler.org/dettwyler.html. Check out her commentaries and links sections for some REALLY interesting reading.

There really is nothing gross about breastfeeding a toddler. You just have to take it one day at a time and do what feels natural. It is a little wierd to look at an older child in a store or the park and think about picking that kid up and nursing him but when it's your own child and you've been doing it every day, you don't even notice. It's not weird...it's just doing what you've always done. They don't change from babies to kids overnight...it's a gradual thing.

I applaud you for giving this a lot of thought and doing research and seeking out support right now, but honestly, my advice would be to hold off on trying to change the world and just take things one step at a time. Do your research and discuss it with people who have done extended breastfeeding so that you can get a feel for what to expect and what's normal, but if you know your family or friends are not going to be supportive, then don't worry about them for now. You'll find that between 6-12 months, you'll get a lot of pressure to wean, but after that, most people will assume that you have and won't bring it up. By that time, chances are you'll be nursing a lot less so most people won't see it. Maybe that's bad because it keeps extended breastfeeding "in the closet" so to speak, but some of us are just not cut out to be lactivists so we have to do what's right for our families and distance ourselves from the naysayers.

Good luck!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:26 PM   #6
allycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thumbs up Re: I want to bf for over 1 year with my next....

I used to think it was strange, but now I wish I had bf mine longer. For health reasons for my last and for bonding and nuturing reasons for all 4. I bf the first 3 until 1 and then bf my son until 15 months he basically weaned himself though and didn't have that much interest. I think it is great to bf after 1 year , and wish I had.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:16 PM   #7
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's not gross and only in our distorted American views is it even abnormal. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends bf for at least one year. Not at most, at least. The World Health Organization recommends bf for at least 2 years - again, not at most at least. You want to do your best for your child. Your best, not meet the minimum recommendation.

Last edited by ChurchPunkMom; 06-01-2006 at 06:17 PM.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:24 PM   #8
Ashley
Registered Users
seller

The only way for us to positively influence people about extended breastfeeding is to DO IT!

If more and more American women would breastfeed to begin with (which is the NORMAL way to nourish our children) and if more and more of us would continue until the child wants to stop, then I think breastfeeding and extended breastfeeding would become less and less taboo...

There are plenty of valid reasons why some women cannot or do not breastfeed, but there are so many of us who are lucky to be able to BF so let's keep it up!!
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote