Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
Meg678
Registered Users
seller

Selling Breast Milk

For the past 5 years or so I have donated my excess breast milk to a local hospital in my area. It's been something I have LOVED doing and will continue to do as long as I am lactating.

However, last Friday my husband lost his job. We've been scrounging like crazy and he has put application after application in to other places but have not heard anything back. I have considered looking for work but mothering my children at home is something extremely important to me and my husband doesn't like the idea of me being away from them. I also have a nursing baby that is EXTREMELY attached to me.

So... I have come to the question of perhaps selling my breast milk for a short time until we can get back on our feet.

Has anyone else sold their milk before?

1.If so, what kind of medical proof do you offer a buyer, and how far back to you go?

2. How do you go about actually marketing it?

3. Is there perhaps a market for children over 12 months of age? (My daughter is almost 8 months old and I know the composition of milk changes between 6-12 months of straight nursing. I have read that "older" milk isn't as adequate for infants than the newer milk.)

4. How are women using the milk they buy from you? Do they feed exclusively breast milk, or do they do 1 bottle a day, 2 a day... etc?

Any other tips?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
bezark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Selling Breast Milk

I could be totally off here, but I thought the sale of breast milk/bodily fluids was illegal?
Old 05-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
TwinMommaplus2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezark View Post
I could be totally off here, but I thought the sale of breast milk/bodily fluids was illegal?
My thoughts too... wonder if it differs from state to state?
Motherhood is not a hobby, its a calling, you do not collect children because they are cuter than stamps, Its not something to do if you can squeeze the time in, its what god gave you time for. ~E. Anderson
TwinMommaplus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Edit: Apparently I was wrong.

Last edited by The Fancy Pansy; 11-05-2010 at 12:33 PM.
The Fancy Pansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:

Not sure if it is illegal but just google it. There are communities for the buying & selling of breast milk.
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
Meg678
Registered Users
seller

Only in California and New York. The CDC actually labels BM as a "food", instead of a bodily fluid, which I thought was rather cool. (But legally it is, yes, considered a bodily fluid.)

I have put some research into this and I have found that it is fairly common. There are actually online classifieds specifically for selling Breast Milk.

I just wanted to ask a few questions to someone that has actually sold it before to know if it actually "works".

Last edited by Meg678; 11-05-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Meg678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
Meg678
Registered Users
seller

I meant "Only in California and New York" is selling breast milk illegal.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
SchatziB
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My GF tried once and all she got were VERY questionable or straight out perverted responses! Hopefully you find a great situation and dont have to shift through any of that yuck :P

Well here we go again!
SchatziB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

the only people willing to buy it would probably be pervs, because moms can typically get it for free via milkshare and similar organizations.

the main reason I've seen it discouraged is that people are concerned that mothers would sell breastmilk they should be feeding their babies to supplement income. WIC gives formula for free, so while i don't know how valid that concern is i can see why it's been expressed. obviously that's not the case for anyone with oversupply (i had that too), but that's why there's a stigma.
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

the only people willing to buy it would probably be pervs, because moms can typically get it for free via milkshare and similar organizations.

the main reason I've seen it discouraged is that people are concerned that mothers would sell breastmilk they should be feeding their babies to supplement income. WIC gives formula for free, so while i don't know how valid that concern is i can see why it's been expressed. obviously that's not the case for anyone with oversupply (i had that too), but that's why there's a stigma.
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote