Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2011, 04:11 AM   #1
jennkix
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Breast & Bottlefeeding...any success??

My LO was born November 30th and has been exclusively breastfeeding for almost 5 weeks. I am about to introduce bottles since I will be returning to work in about a month. I would like to continue breastfeeding but have my DH be able to feed our LO while I'm at work. I have purchased both Tommee Tippee and Breastflow bottles since they came highly recommended. Just curious to see if anyone has had success with breastfeeding and bottlefeeding at the same time...and if so, what suggestions do you have for the transition?

Thanks!
jennkix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:42 AM   #2
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breast & Bottlefeeding...any success??

I'm a WOHM as well. I returned to work when DS2 was about 14 weeks old but I introduced a bottle at around 8 weeks. We tried the TT bottles but they didn't work for us - he would collapse the nipples all the time and get too much air no matter what we did.

You will find a bottle that works for you I am sure. My only recco on that is stay with the lowest flow nipple possible to make your LO work for the milk like he does as the breast. DS2 is now 11 months old and is still on a stage 1 nipple for his bottles at daycare

We started by having DH give him a bottle in the middle of the day and then I would pump while DH fed. He took the bottle just fine and never seemed to have an issue going back and forth between the bottle and breast.

Right now he nurses twice before I drop him off at DC, gets 3 bottles there and then nurses in the afternoon and throughout the night.

It is possible mama, lots of WOHMs do it. Feel free to PM anytime.
kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai_e View Post
I'm a WOHM as well. I returned to work when DS2 was about 14 weeks old but I introduced a bottle at around 8 weeks. We tried the TT bottles but they didn't work for us - he would collapse the nipples all the time and get too much air no matter what we did.

You will find a bottle that works for you I am sure. My only recco on that is stay with the lowest flow nipple possible to make your LO work for the milk like he does as the breast. DS2 is now 11 months old and is still on a stage 1 nipple for his bottles at daycare

We started by having DH give him a bottle in the middle of the day and then I would pump while DH fed. He took the bottle just fine and never seemed to have an issue going back and forth between the bottle and breast.

Right now he nurses twice before I drop him off at DC, gets 3 bottles there and then nurses in the afternoon and throughout the night.

It is possible mama, lots of WOHMs do it. Feel free to PM anytime.
I could have written this exact post including the amt of time that I was home with my baby and our nursing schedule. I will also say that my LO did not do well with the breastflow b/c he collapsed the nipples and got too much with them too. We use the playtex dropins with the latex nipple, which I also understand can be used with the wide mouth ventaire bottles if you don't like the drop in option.

I like the drop in option b/c I can use the bags that I use to store my pumped milk from work as the drop in bags for the bottles. We also use the slowest flow nipple.

My LO will be 8 months old on the 6th and we are still nursing at least 8 times a day when we are home all day together. It CAN be done!
Old 01-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
mama21
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanasmom View Post
I like the drop in option b/c I can use the bags that I use to store my pumped milk from work as the drop in bags for the bottles. We also use the slowest flow nipple.
Sorry to Crash.... Why didn't I think of this! Which bags did you use exactly? I'm currently trying to figure out which bottle to use with my next baby and this just sounds like one less step I'll have to do.

Bikram yoga lover and CD addict
mama21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
seacat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama21 View Post
Sorry to Crash.... Why didn't I think of this! Which bags did you use exactly? I'm currently trying to figure out which bottle to use with my next baby and this just sounds like one less step I'll have to do.
Waiting... If you say Playex I may just freak out. I have dumped $$$ into those stupid drop ins because its the only bottle DS will take. On the other hand I have gobs of the Medela bags.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:54 AM   #6
tamesis
Registered Users
seller

I am not working right now, but am having success with a breast/bottle relationship. My daughter is 7 weeks old, and we have been giving her a bottle a couple times a week since she was about 4 weeks. We are using the Avent bottles, which came recommended to us by the LC, and haven't had a problem.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not really doing it much now, but with all my kids, I've been able to offer bottles and still BF. I know there are several moms on here who work and BF. I can think of one in particular who pumps for her son who is in daycare. We used Avent for a while too and then switched to using the Medela because that is the pumping system I use. It was just easier and my kids didn't care. Good Luck!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:41 AM   #8
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

my older dd had no trouble going back and forth between bottle and breast. My other two wouldn't even consider a bottle. depends on the kid (what doesn'?)
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:47 AM   #9
jamilynn84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My daughter is 3.5 months now. I work evening here and there and she has had no issues going from breast to bottle and back again. She actually has even spent a few nights at nana's house and had bottles for 24 hours straight and gone right back to nursing when I'd come to get her
Old 01-03-2011, 06:57 AM   #10
mommyof3armywife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Troy and Aimee never took one for me not sure why most liking because I was home all day everyday and never really had much of a reason too so when I tried they wouldn't take it. Naomi I was working and I was BF at work ( I worked in a day care so I was able to do this) but at around 8 months old I had to stop because of medical reasons on my part and she took a bottle for me.