Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
SunDancerAcres
File with paypal if you bought! See thread in WAHMwares!

Question Car seat laws? What is your opinion.

I am looking for everyones honest opinion on Car Seat Laws.

I personally do not believe I should be told how I need to raise my children or how to keep them safe. I do not feel that putting my baby into a car seat while they scream bc of being restrained, or bc they feel alone, or etc. is a good thing nor do I believe that a driver can concentrate on the road or driving with a baby crying in the backseat. They say just pull over and tend to the baby and then get back on the road, if that were the case, Id never be able to drive bc mine screams bloody murder in his car seat. He hates it and always has. So I guess women with children that do not like car seat should be aloud to drive.

So anyone else want to give their 2 . Yes I know this could get to a heated debate I just want everyones honest opinion and if I am the only one that feels this way.

BTW : How many of you remember wearing a seat belt as a child or having someone you know die due to lack of a car seat.

I remember a specific accident I was in where my mom was wearing a seat belt and got injured by the seat belt and was told had she not been wearing it she most likely would not have had any injuries at all.

Last edited by SunDancerAcres; 03-29-2011 at 05:33 PM.
SunDancerAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Car seat laws? What is your opinion.

I think car seats are necessary - same with seat belts...I don't mind it being a law.

I know when I was a child a good friend's mom was driving home some kids (car-pool) and one child was killed in the car accident - I don't think that child had been buckled in - it was not HER child - I don't think any of the children were buckled in - I believe the law was still kind of "iffy" on backseat belt use.

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well coming from someone whose child screamed bloody murder from the trip home from the hospital all the way until about 18 months and knowing what I do about the morbidity of children improperly restrained, I am all for stricter carseat laws. And I had to take him almost 20 minutes each way to daycare every day. I did what any reasonable mother would do when faced with either their child's discomfort or the child's safety and well being, I ignored him. I don't remember ever wearing a seatbelt but then again, we didn't have a car and did the sardines in a can thing the few times we rode in a car (kids sitting on top of kids sitting on top of adults while more kids sitting on the floor of the car) and buses/taxis didn't have seatbelts either.

The way I see it is this: if for some reason my child died in a car accident and suffered internal decapitation because I didn't want "the man" telling me what to do in regards to keeping him safe, I would never be able to live with myself and would probably commit suicide out of shame and guilt.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
SunDancerAcres
File with paypal if you bought! See thread in WAHMwares!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch_babe View Post
Well coming from someone whose child screamed bloody murder from the trip home from the hospital all the way until about 18 months and knowing what I do about the morbidity of children improperly restrained, I am all for stricter carseat laws. And I had to take him almost 20 minutes each way to daycare every day. I did what any reasonable mother would do when faced with either their child's discomfort or the child's safety and well being, I ignored him. I don't remember ever wearing a seatbelt but then again, we didn't have a car and did the sardines in a can thing the few times we rode in a car (kids sitting on top of kids sitting on top of adults while more kids sitting on the floor of the car) and buses/taxis didn't have seatbelts either.

The way I see it is this: if for some reason my child died in a car accident and suffered internal decapitation because I didn't want "the man" telling me what to do in regards to keeping him safe, I would never be able to live with myself and would probably commit suicide out of shame and guilt.
Here s my question on just ignoring them ... do you not think that cuases stress on both the mother and the child and tells the child I really dont care that you are crying. I never ignore my child when he is crying I think it sends the wrong message to them.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDancerAcres View Post
Here s my question on just ignoring them ... do you not think that cuases stress on both the mother and the child and tells the child I really dont care that you are crying. I never ignore my child when he is crying I think it sends the wrong message to them.
If it's a choice between causing the mom and child stress or the baby dying, I'll pick stress every time.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
If it's a choice between causing the mom and child stress or the baby dying, I'll pick stress every time.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
this. even if it means arriving to your destination late...it's worth it
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:07 PM   #8
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I have had lots of screamers and I never once thought about not buckling them in. I would try to stay home so we didn't have to go in the car ,but if we had to go they would ride buckled. I am very concerned about my kids needs and always tend to them when they cry,BUT safety comes first when we travel. I do think a screaming baby causes stress on the baby and mother but it cause less stress on the mother than a dead baby because she wouldn't buckle her baby up. Seatbelts save lives that is all there is to it!
Old 03-29-2011, 11:07 PM   #9
coffeegirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Although I don't agree with getting rid of child car seat laws, I do "get" what you're saying from a kinda libertarian point of view. And I kind of agree as far as the principle goes.

But I personally don't believe that "ignoring" a screaming or stress-ed out child in their car seat is going to cause any long-term damage to said child. Yes, definitely the kid and mom will be stressed in the short term. But if the kid really has THAT much of an aversion to car seats, it's usually one of those quirky-neurotic yet developentally normal kid phases and it usually passes.

And if it doesn't pass like other stages do, then it becomes either a discipline issue that you can deal with at home, or a "we need outside professoinal help" kind of issue because your kids has got either anger issues or a genuine irrational phobia about car seats.

But usually, I think it's just a passing phase. I've known several babies who HATED the car seat....One of them is my own daugther, but her screaming hatred of the car seat only lasted a few weeks. I've never seen any evidence that it damages the child in any way to be forced to sit in a carseat while they're still young. (This is also why we are a semi-CIO family, at times, so take my POV with however big a grain of salt you think it merits.)

Last edited by coffeegirl; 03-29-2011 at 11:16 PM.
coffeegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:53 AM   #10
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
In the instance of carseat/driving I don't think it does at all. You can choose to talk to him but that is only going to distract you. There were very few times my DD cried in the carseat, usually when hungry, all I did was get home as quick as possible and at red lights only commented I know I am hurrying.
Yes it can stress you out but you gotta do what you gotta do. You could try a different carseat I have seen posts on the car seat part of the forum about that helping, angles different.
I am totally against being told what to do parenting wise, however carseat laws don't bother me. I see being not properly restrained as a direct threat to the child's life. We drive fast in cars that crunch up horribly in crashes with airbags all cases of disaster for any child that is not properly restrained.